The name Circello means ‘oak’ and is of Norman origin. Oaks are abundant throughout the territory. Circello is a small centre that lies in the middle of the Torti and Tammarecchia streams.
Not far from the built-up area of Macchia, there are some interesting historical finds that testify to an ancient settlement from Roman times, home to the colony of the ‘Liguri Baebiani’, who moved here en masse from Liguria in 181 BC .
Historical finds testify to the existence of an ancient settlement at the time of the Samnites. In the Middle Ages, the land was owned by the Carafa and Di Somma families in 1563 until the end of the feudal system. Subsequently, the town was part of Capitanata until 1809, and finally from 1861 it became part of Benevento.
From 1900 onwards, the town suffered a sharp decline in population due to mass emigration to the United States, Australia, Argentina, Venezuela, Germany, Switzerland and Great Britain.
Today, Circello has about 2300 inhabitants.

