Monument description : Church of San Domenico
The monument is located in comune di Airola in provincia di Benevento.
The church was built in 1743, when the Dominican fathers decided to abandon Mount Taburno (due to the dangerous location) and move to Airola. In 1813, after the Napoleonic occupation, the church and monastery were donated to the municipality.
The building has a single nave; today, only five of the seven original altars can be seen. On the high altar there is a statue of the Madonna del Taburno this may be the original statue kept on the Taburno Sanctuary by the Dominicans.
After the 1980 earthquake, the church was closed for worship for 20 years. In 2000, it was reopened for worship.
Corso Principe di Napoli, 41, 82011 Airola BN