Monument description : Church of St Gabriel
The monument is located in comune di Airola in provincia di Benevento.
The first church dedicated to St Gabriel was built in 960 on the hill of Monteoliveto. In 1033, a small monastery dedicated to the Cluniac Benedictines was also built nearby and remained there until 1201.
The present church (the third) has an elliptical shape, with a central nave, four side altars and a high altar. Inside one of the two niches is the relic of St Bartholomew the Apostle.
The monastery, on the other hand, has a rectangular shape with two cloisters.