Monument description : Paul V Palace
The monument is located in comune di Benevento in provincia di Benevento.
The Paul V Palace is a building located along Corso Garibaldi in Benevento and was the municipal seat until the 1980 earthquake.
It was designed by architect Giovanni Fontana in 1598 and completed in 1607; its name was chosen in homage to Camillo Borghese (Paul V), who became Pope the year before.
In the 20th century, the building became the city’s main cinema venue until 1995, and was recently restored in the early 2000s.
It currently houses coworking spaces, a literary café and exhibition areas for exhibitions, conferences, musical and cultural events.
Inside, there are stelae, statues, rich wall paintings and decorations, and on the square in front are two Egyptian obelisks erected in 88 AD under the rule of Emperor Domitian.
In addition, there are numerous tombstones in the courtyard commemorating important figures and events in the city.